Thursday, July 29, 2010

Last day at my first job



29th July 2010: “Bid Adieu; please help yourself with some sweets at my desk”. This was my first email of the morning to my fellow colleagues.

Just sat back in my seat, thinking about the last 22 months.

June 11 2007(If I am not wrong), I was recruited by my first company to work with them when I was in my final year of college. As all, even I was ecstatic and felt above the world. After a long wait, I joined the company on 25th Sep 2008. I was off to trivandrum for my training for little over 4 weeks. And was back in Chennai to work from my base branch. Initially, I was in what is famously called the bench period (ppl in service industry would know what exactly I mean here). All my friends were into projects quite early. My bench period was long enough that one of my close pal’s mom recognized me as a guy who goes to office just to sign (“Ho avana? Company poi sign pottu vanthuduvane… :D)

As time passed, I was in and out of few projects. May be I can term even this as what is called my FATE. Mixed emotions, hard feelings, few sensible and few insensible thoughts were flooding my mind. Got some serious time to read a lot, to watch movies, to enjoy all sporting actions on TV, long biking trips (solitude my only company), thinking about lots more (which I thought I should never think). Anyways, ALL iz well!! All iz well!! I got some time to think about what is next in stock for me. I had to concentrate on things which would keep me occupied and move further.

Needed a change; needed a change that will keep me away from few things; needed a change that will keep me occupied; needed a change that is going to keep me going; needed a change that is going to help me;

“Sala, sweets acha thaa re!!!” the voice of Asis brought me back to reality. Well, he is one guy probably I have been with too often, whether it was for regular fag sessions or fixing up couple of drinks during Fridays or lending my ears to listen to some of his sensitive issues. It was coz of this guy, I learnt conversing in Hindi to a considerable extent, actually “urndi” (Urdu + Hindi ;)).

Folks flocked to my desk for some sweets and short conversations. Hari, Sathish, Santhini, Shalini, Vijay, Prince, and all the others were at my desk. “Thanks for the sweets”; “nice sweets”; “All the best” blah blah blah. Passed some time talking with them. And now, back to my reverie.

Those were the days, I was into serious thoughts of how to change the way I was. Lots of questions flooded my mind; “Why am I thinking all this?”, “What am I doing?”, “Where am I gonna end up” etc etc. I just had to make some quick but coherent decision to change all this. That was my decision to spend some time in further technical studies. Decided this time it should be different, different in all terms. And there started my preparation for the hunt. (In pic: My work place in Chennai)

Concentrated pretty hard, doing some homework and researching on places where I can end up, doing some serious work. Spend long hours on the internet, educated myself about the process. Satisfied all the pre-requisites and decided what I actually wanted. Started applying for Universities, kept my fingers crossed for their decisions. At the same time, Work at company kept me engaged for most of the time after that. Leaving for home at 12, 1 at midnight was quite new to me. Spent some really good time with people at work place. This was supposed to be the liveliest time at my company.

On the other hand the admission decisions started flowing in. My most ambitious university stroke a bounce, in the very beginning. However, all the other three were and I had to decide from my options. Well, that was not a babbling task at all ;). Next in was the VISA process, got it quite easily. On 1st July 2010, sent my resignation letter to the HR in-charge.

“Hey! utt, break chale”, It was again Asis calling for a break.
Back to reality, And, I was counting the last few hours of my first job.

In the evening, I was given a small souvenir. Yea, this is one team which has to be remembered for some time to come. Plenty of “hand-shakes”, lots of “all the best”, plenty of “keep in touch”; Met my HR for the final formalities, handed over my identity card and made my way back home, with the thought, I will not have to return back for my job the next morning. No formal attire, No daily bus jaunts, No cubicle chit-chats and No longer a salaried person as-well :D


No comments:

                      German         French         Spanish         English        
Google